Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Social Klutzing...

So, last night, the kiddo and I went to that fundraising event that his school was hosting.

I thought they had lovely cups!
Overall, I thought that the place had decently good food. Everything was a touch overpriced, though. I'll say that they're chocolate cake certainly was delicious, but I can't think of any sort of cake that should warrant a $4.50/slice price.

As predicted, we ran into one of the kiddo's classmates and his parents. Also as predicted, I was nothing short of spectacularly awkward. /facepalm

I decided to be bold for a change and attempt to be outgoing when I introduced myself to the classmate's parents...the kiddo and I had just finished eating, so I decided to tell them something along the lines of, " Oh boy, you guys are in for a treat! We just ate, and let me tell you, the food was fantastic! Like, really, really good food! But, I don't know, have you guys ever eaten here before?"

At this point, the mother nodded and said that yes, they have eaten here before. Many times, in fact.

Awkward Distraction Dance!
And that's all it takes to throw a monkey wrench in the barely-functioning machine that is the part of my brain that fuels social interactions. Whether warranted or not, I start to internally panic. [These are the rather odd things that go on in the mind of someone with social anxiety!] 

I mumble something about it being great that they come here often, and then say that it was nice to meet them and awkwardly shuffle about to grab the kiddo and sprint to the safe haven that is my car...but of course, not before over-excitedly telling them that I was glad to meet them...at least three more times. Soooo much facepalm. 

Oh well. All that really matters is that the kiddo and I had a good time, we had good food that served towards a good cause, and now I know that my little one is making friends at his new school [which makes me one incredibly relieved and proud mama!].

Elsewhere in Gotham City...

My new computer was just delivered! Look forward to computer hi-jinx in upcoming posts! 


No comments:

Post a Comment