Saturday, November 29, 2014

It's Game Day! Let's Go, Bama!!

Alabama vs Auburn - THE Rivalry
It's game day!!

Ask any college football following resident of Alabama which is the biggest, most important game of the year, and I guarantee you they'll say it's the Iron Bowl...and you know what? They'd be absolutely right!

The Iron Bowl is the ever-anticipated Alabama/Auburn football game...fan of rivalry games? This is the biggest, deepest, strongest rivalry in the nation...hands down. The animosity between the neighboring schools is, quite simply, a force to be reckoned with...Alabamians are groomed from the day we're born to cheer for one school or the other, and it grows into a life long passion unlike any other. [I know it probably sounds outlandish to anyone on the outside looking it, but it's absolutely true! The first photos of my kiddo have him wearing an adorable little Alabama hat while wrapped up in an Alabama blanket...true story!]

Growing up in a military family, my first 18 years or so were not as steeped in the Iron Bowl traditions as many of my friends and family...but that doesn't mean that Bama/Auburn influences weren't there. On my dad's side [I guess it would be silly to think it would originate from my mom's side, wouldn't it...], my grandfather and grandmother were HUGE Alabama fans. Bama stuff was all over their home...I remember playing with some of it when we would get a chance to visit. Portraits of Coach Bryant, Alabama bottles of Coke, hats, pillows, blankets...you name, they probably had it or knew where they could get it...

Living in other countries and states, I never understood how big of a deal college football was until we moved back to Alabama when I was in middle school.

Roll Tide!
With family influences, I declared myself a Bama fan...which cemented friendships with some, and drew some boundaries with others. [I've got a few family members that are Auburn fans, some friends, too...but football stuff is a topic we typically shy away from for the sake of maintaining a good relationship...] However, it wasn't until I started college that I really began to take my place as a steadfast member of the rivalry...four years of attending the University of Alabama, and I'm proud to say that I'm a Bama fan for life!

Iron Bowl - Wikipedia

Iron Bowl Wins Coaches' Poll For Fiercest College Football Rivalry

ESPN - Alabama/Auburn Rivalry Gallery

I've added a few links, feel free to check them out if you'd like to read a bit more on our insane rivalry...a quick internet search will give you hours and hours of material covering the Iron Bowl!

And, I've got to say it...ROLL TIDE! C'mon boys, let's beat Auburn!


No comments:

Post a Comment