Thursday, October 16, 2014

Medication Costs...

I know that the healthcare system has been in the news an awful lot over the last couple of years...especially with all of the lovely government mandated changes. [Just.../sigh] I've got a personal experience that I'm gonna share, no worries, its not another soapbox rant...

Just a little over a month ago, my kiddo got sick and I had to take him to the pediatrician. After visiting with the doctor, he was given a prescription for an antibiotic and a school excuse for a couple of days just to make sure he felt well before going back to school. That afternoon, I went to one of the nearby pharmacies to pick up his medicines, I was shocked by how expensive they were...his antibiotic alone was over $120!! The antibiotics were generic (not name-brand) and fairly common, it wasn't some sort of rare medication that needed to be special ordered or anything like that. Isn't that outrageous?!?

Fast-forward to this morning...the kiddo is sick again. We went back to the same doctor and were prescribed the same medication (for a different ailment). I went to the same pharmacy, but now I've got a different insurance plan than I had during the previous pharmacy visit.

Care to wager a guess at how much the exact same medication cost me this time?

A whopping $5. Five friggin dollars!!

The 'take home' point of this whole ordeal?

Make sure you are educated on all of your healthcare options...not all plans are built the same, and certainly not all of them are affordable...

"Affordable Healthcare Act" my butt...

No comments:

Post a Comment