Saturday, March 21, 2015

Hello There, Daydream Boyfriend: Commitment (The Movie)

Last night, I was mindlessly browsing through Netflix and you won't believe what I found...

/Fangirling
It's my daydream boyfriend! On my Netflix! Ridiculous or not, I'm taking this as a sign...we loves me, he just doesn't know it yet! [hahaha okay...that sounds creepy and desperate...it's meant to be read with 99.9% sarcasm...the other .1% is definitely wishful thinking...]

A couple of weeks ago, I watched one of the other Korean movies on Netflix...so now I've got a "Because you watched ______" grouping that brings me all sorts of Korean movies and dramas...

As I was scrolling through them [still very much a noob to the world of Korean entertainment], I remembered reading that T.O.P. did some acting in addition to his swoon-worthy singing. Not knowing how popular his acting works were nor how popular the Korean movies/dramas on Netflix actually are...I wasn't sure if any of his stuff would be available. So, I was delightfully surprised to run across this movie!

*** Potential spoiler alerts ahead!!***

The movie was pretty good...surprisingly good compared to all of the other Korean movies/dramas that I've seen. I had to watch the movie with it's English subtitles, but I didn't find it difficult to keep up with the dialogue. Luckily, I'm a ridiculously fast reader and I love subtitled anime and movies...but I realize that most people do not share my love for subtitled, foreign films. So, please do keep the language difference in mind if you decide to watch this movie.

I thought the overall flow of the movie was very good. There is only one particular spot in the movie that stood out to me as feeling a bit out of place: there's a bit of a rumble involving some good ol' fashioned school bully douchebaggery...immediately following a brief clip of our hero and damsel seemingly removed from the fight scene but without any explanation as to where they have moved to. [No transition, no explanation...and his jacket does a random disappearing act only to reappear a few seconds later] The next scene shows our hero back in his classroom and the rest of the story line flows just fine. It's a very minor point, and I know I'm probably the only non-critic that even noticed it...

Such a cutie!
The movie has got a fair bit of action, some heartbreaking espionage, and sheds a little light on the complexity of North/South relations...I'll admit, I know next to nothing about North/South relations outside of what we can see on the news and the news websites that I read [which, I presume, is also mostly America-generated]. I know that all news channels/sites spin each story to some extent, so I'm not naive enough to believe that everything I see, read, or hear is the absolute, 100%, unadulterated truth. And I was too young to have been told the grittier side of things when I lived in Korea...and that was over 20 years ago anyway...I'm sure things have changed since then...but yeah. I'm still a bit confused over some of the dynamics that were portrayed in this movie...I'll be asking my cousin about it later.

All things considered, I definitely recommend this movie. When you find yourself needing something to watch, pick this one!

/Swoon
Still not completely sure you wanna watch this movie?

It's almost two hours of watching my daydream boyfriend...he's a spy, kicks serious tail, and goes to any length to try and protect those close to him. He rides a motorcycle, stands up to bullies, and plays the piano. Did I mention he rides a motorcycle? [/chuckle me likey the motorcycle]


No comments:

Post a Comment