Friday, July 18, 2014

Texting, Don't Do It...

So...I have the distinguished honor of being renowned as a fairly awkward person. Normally, it's rather funny and the only person that experiences discomfort is myself. Want examples? You could ask just about anyone that I worked with at BioLife and I'm sure they could easily give you half a dozen examples. At one point, a special "Most Awkward" label was made for my name tag. Good times, good times...

But anyway, if you think being awkward in person isn't bad enough, try being someone that has awkward tendencies and then being nervous on top of that. And then take it one step farther and throw texting into the mix...word of advice? Just no. Just don't do it.

Where is this random nugget of golden advice coming from? Experience. True story.

I also think this might be a good point to interject the commonly known definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and continuing to expect a different outcome.

I realize that this post is probably pointless for most people that will read it, but I hope that you'll overlook it and indulge me my mini-venting post for it is sorely needed.

The past few months have been a purely chaotic roller coaster for so many different aspects of my daily life...if it were to be made into a movie, I think even Tim Burton would feel like I've been through a bit much. (Probably a terrible example, but it's the best I could come up with at the moment...)

But, the good news, if there is any to be found, is that through it all I heave managed to learn a thing or two.
1) people are not mind readers. If there is something that you want someone else to know, short of hiring sky writers to do it for you, there's virtually no way to get around telling them. It might suck, it might be embarrassing, but could it really be worse than having to live with that whole "what if" thought process? Sometimes the answer is yes! Sometimes it would actually be a better choice to lick a New York City sidewalk than to put your feelings out there for someone to do with as they please. But the only way to find out for sure is to say it. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and then just do it. And really, really try not to throw up on whomever it is you're speaking to
2) people cannot be analyzed. This was actually a point that my brother brought to my attention. Maybe it's because of my scientific thought processes that I thought it would only be logical to look at people with that same sort of processing. I foolishly thought that if you take someone and observe their behaviors, that you could more or less reason what their next action might be. Even more foolishly, I thought it would be possible to take someone's behaviors and analyze them to determine what their thoughts and motives were. Now, these things are to some extent possible, but how accurate could any guesses or assumptions actually be? My brother reminded me that people are actually very poor subjects for this sort of analysis because, at the end of the day, people are simply going to do what they want to do, and a lot of the times there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their actions. At least none that an outside observer could discern. Seems like that pesky free-will stuff always interferes.
3) I learned that it truly is up to myself to react to a situation in whatever manner I choose to react. I was going to include a picture here, but I'm posting from my iPad and I'm not really sure how to post pictures. The picture is a quote from everyone's favorite pirate, Captain Jack Sparrow. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" How stupidly profound is that?? And I know this is common sense, but sometimes I can become so wrapped up in whatever the current problem is that I simpler cannot see the forest for all the trees.

So I've made the decision to continue to strive to make positive improvements in my life. One of which will be to try my best to objectively look at hardships and make the conscious decision to have control over my attitude.

But don't you guys worry, I fully intend to maintain my awesomely sarcastic sense of humor and will most likely continue to be entertainingly awkward...but hopefully I'll be less Eeyore and more Tigger.

But seriously, next time you see me or talk to me, get me to tell you my "moves like Jagger" story. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment