Friday, December 12, 2014

Pentatonix. Brilliant!

It's been a few days since my last post...can you believe that in just a few days time, I've managed to fall in love?!?

Okay, okay...no need to worry about whether or not I've rejoined the sketchy world of online dating, I assure you, that's not the case.

You see, I haven't fallen in love with a person...I've fallen for five of them! [Confused yet? Hehehe...]

Who knew so much talent could fit on one couch!
I'm talking about Pentatonix!

They're the season 3 winners of the TV show 'Sing Off,' and they're amazing!

A few mornings ago, I was looking through some videos on YouTube, trying to find some decent Christmas music to listen to with the kiddo...my search brought me to the Pentatonix performance of Carol of the Bells...and my mind was blown!

I've got a long-standing love and respect for a cappella artists...have you ever tried to sing without accompaniment? It's super difficult! The media loves to tear recording artists to shreds every time a sans-accompaniment track gets leaked...lots of singers sound far less impressive when you remove all of the background instruments and such...sooooo, singers that perform a cappella are, in my opinion, are boss! [Is 'boss' still a thing? Did I just show my age? /sigh...]

Here's the video that I'm talking about.

I love their use of minor keys!

Maybe its another facet of my adoration for things melancholy...I'm a huge fan of musical pieces in minor keys. [/chuckle I've been called 'weird' for this pretty much my whole life...] To me, there's a sort of nontraditional beauty  to the music...brooding, mysterious, non-conforming, misunderstood...I get it. I live and breathe it.

So...yep! Their rendition of Carol of the Bells is different than what most people are likely expecting, and I think that makes it only that much more appealing!

Just because I love it that much, I'm posting their video for the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy.


The style of the video is an obvious homage to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, and their arrangement of the piece is a masterfully done meld of the well-loved Tchaikovsky classic and Pentatonix's a cappella flair. Check it out...hopefully you'll love them just as much as I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment